We all know that blogging, when done effectively and cross-linked to your website, can be a very effective way to increae your SEO and engage your visitors frequently. But sometimes, finding topics to blog about is difficult.
Here are some tips to help:
- not like the other guy – try not to pick topics that your competitors are also writing about. Try to be unique – that can equate to higher rankings if there are fewer people blogging about the same thing
- been there, done that – avoid topics that are already represented by other content on your blog or website. For example, if you are a REALTOR, don’t blog about a new listing – that listing is most likely already present in the property search area of your website
- local, local, local – search engines LOVE hyper-local content. Blog about things going on around you – events, seminars, community, neighborhoods, or even achievements of a business associate
- read trade or industry publications to come up with trending ideas that others may find interesting
- write a follow-up to a previous blog post that was read alot or commented on a lot
- sometimes your own hobbies can give you some great blog ideas
- show me how – write a quick how-to or guide for something in your industry that you do well, and can perhaps help others to do better
- don’t be afraid to be funny – sometimes a blog post can go off the beaten-path and have nothing at all to do with your blogs usual posts. Jokes, funny happenings around you, or even a funny movie or TV show and provide humorous interludes for your blog that readers will appreciate
Don’t be afraid to experiment. There is no WRONG blog post. Some may not be as popular as others, for sure. But if you experiment a little, you may stumble across a post that becomes more popular that you ever thought it would, and it turns out to be something completely different than you usually post about.
Do you post any blog articles with unusual topics that surprised you in their popularity? We’d love to hear about it!